One Killed in Violent Ikorodu Clash

Violent clash has erupted among street urchins in Idi-Iroko, Ikorodu part of Lagos State. The clash which started with commercial motorcyclists and extended to suspected cultists, individuals and socio-cultural groups has led to the untimely death of Fatai, a carpenter well known as ‘Eegun’ (masquerade).

According to eyewitnesses, the deceased was conversing with a client at Idi-Iroko area when thugs from Majidun, Ikorodu stormed the axis around 1:30 pm as residents scampered for safety.

The deceased was reported to have left what he was doing as he joined other residents in running for dear life. He was unfortunately hit by stray bullets and in the end died.

According to another witness who wanted to stay annonymous, he gave an account of how the clash started on Saturday. He confirmed that the Monday clash was a result of a N2 million reward which was to be shared between the two parties of Idi-iroko group and Majidun group, but that the money was taken by one of the parties.

Read Also: #ENDSARS: Protesters storm Ikorodu, Gbagada, Alausa

It was also alleged that the one group of Idi-Iroko sought for peace meetings scheduled to hold on Monday, but was refuted by the other group of Majidun.

Consequently, the Idi-Iroko area was said to be highly tensed as area boys took over the streets while snatching valuables from innocent passers-by.

Vehicular activities were, more so, prevented in the area as dangerous weapons like cutlasses, matchets and broken bottles were used at free wills.

According to Ganiyu Afolabi, a passerby, who was at the scene, he narrated how he escaped being killed by the street boys. He said,

‘I was coming from Ogolonto axis to Isawo when I ran into the boys and right in my presence, they matcheted a boy and blood gushed out of him. On noticing this, I started running and some of the boys ran after me but none could catch up with me.’

It was revealed that, while the residents of Idi-Iroko, were thinking of the next line of action, the area boys were said to have moved closer to the deceased, decapitated him and walked away with the head.

Following the #EndSARS movement, protests have been said to be peaceful in Agric and Ikorodu roundabout. However, vehicular activities in Ikorodu have been halted as some youths were spotted mounting roadblocks to prevent vehicular movements in these affected areas which in turn has left commuters stranded.

Commercial transporters also restricted their activities to inner routes, as the Ketu/Mile 12 route was a no go area for them.

Categories: Nation, News