Gunman Killed Near White House After Opening Fire
Police and members of the Secret Service block streets around the White House, Saturday, May 23, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
A gunman was shot and killed by United States Secret Service agents near the White House on Saturday evening after he opened fire close to the presidential security perimeter, authorities confirmed. A bystander was also struck during the exchange of gunfire, in what marks the latest security scare at one of the world’s most heavily guarded buildings.
President Donald Trump was inside the White House at the time, engaged in negotiations toward a potential agreement with Iran, but was not affected by the incident, according to Secret Service communications chief Anthony Guglielmi.
“Secret Service Police returned fire striking the suspect who was transported to an area hospital where he was pronounced deceased. During the shooting one bystander was also struck by gunfire,” Guglielmi said in an official statement, without disclosing the bystander’s condition.
The confrontation unfolded just after 6:00 pm local time (2200 GMT), when the man, positioned near the White House security perimeter, “pulled a weapon from his bag and began firing.” No Secret Service officers sustained injuries.
Multiple American media outlets identified the suspect as Nasire Best, 21, of Maryland, reporting that Best had a documented history of mental health concerns and had previously had several interactions with Secret Service personnel.
Reacting on Truth Social in the early hours of Sunday, Trump praised the security response. “Thank you to our great Secret Service and Law Enforcement for the swift and professional action taken this evening against a gunman near the White House, who had a violent history and possible obsession with our Country’s most cherished structure,” he wrote.
The scene drew heavy police and security presence, with National Guard troops cordoning off surrounding streets in downtown Washington. Canadian tourist Reid Adrian, who witnessed the incident, told AFP: “We heard probably 20 to 25 what sounded like fireworks, but they’re gunshots, and then everyone started running.”
Journalists stationed on the White House North Lawn were ordered to run and take shelter inside the press briefing room. ABC News correspondent Selina Wang had been recording a video for social media when shots rang out and she dove to the ground. “It sounded like dozens of gunshots,” she posted on X.
Saturday’s incident is the latest in a series of security threats against Trump. In July 2024, a gunman opened fire at a campaign rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, killing one audience member and grazing the then-candidate’s ear. Months later, another armed man was arrested on a golf course in West Palm Beach where Trump was playing. A third alleged attempt occurred on April 25 this year, when a man stormed a security checkpoint at a hotel gala Trump was attending, though he never reached the former president or other guests.
House Republicans responded to Saturday’s shooting on X. “Thank God President Trump is safe. Endless gratitude to the Secret Service for their immediate, heroic response. Political violence has to stop,” their statement read.
The incident also draws attention to ongoing construction at the White House. Trump, who has cited security concerns as a driving factor, approved a $400 million project that involves demolishing the East Wing to make way for a ballroom. According to Trump, the structure will include six underground floors, an underground military hospital, and a “drone-proof” design.
AFP
