Crystal Dike
The death toll from Hong Kong’s worst fire in decades rose to 128 on Friday, November 28, 2025, with dozens of people still missing, as authorities disclosed that fire alarm systems in the affected residential estate had been malfunctioning.
About 200 people remain unaccounted for, while 89 bodies are yet to be identified, officials said. Families continued to search hospitals and victim identification centres for missing relatives.
The fire broke out on Wednesday afternoon, November 26, at the Wang Fuk Court housing estate in the Tai Po district. Flames rapidly swept through seven of the estate’s eight high-rise residential blocks, engulfing the densely populated complex.
Fire services said the blaze was largely extinguished by Friday morning after burning for more than 40 hours. Rescue teams confirmed they had completed a search of over 1,800 flats for survivors.
Authorities are investigating the cause of the fire, focusing on bamboo scaffolding and protective netting wrapped around the buildings as part of an ongoing renovation project. The Hong Kong government said preliminary findings suggest the fire began in protective netting on the lower floors of one tower, with foam boards and bamboo scaffolding contributing to its rapid spread.
Fire Services Department chief Andy Yeung said all eight buildings were found to have faulty alarm systems. “We will take enforcement actions against the contractors responsible,” he told reporters on Friday.
Residents said they were forced to alert neighbours by knocking on doors after alarms failed to sound. At the site on Friday morning, workers were seen removing bodies in black bags from the charred buildings. At a nearby mortuary in Sha Tin, families gathered for identification exercises.
Hong Kong’s security chief, Chris Tang, said investigations could take three to four weeks. The Independent Commission Against Corruption confirmed on Thursday, November 27, that it had opened a probe into renovation work at the estate. Police also arrested three men on suspicion of negligently leaving foam packaging at the site.
The Labour Department said it had conducted 16 inspections at Wang Fuk Court since July 2024, the latest on November 20, 2025, issuing written warnings on fire safety compliance.
The fire is the deadliest in Hong Kong since 1948, when an explosion and subsequent blaze killed at least 135 people.
The government has announced a HK$300 million ($38.5 million) relief fund for victims. Nine emergency shelters have been opened, with temporary accommodation and financial assistance arranged for displaced residents. Activities linked to the December 7 legislative elections have been suspended.
Community-driven relief efforts have intensified, with donation centres providing food, clothing, household items, and medical and psychological support. Organisers said supplies had become so abundant that further donations were no longer required.