Obi Dismisses Jonathan 2027 Threat, Focuses on Nigeria

 

Peter Obi, former Anambra State governor and 2023 Labour Party presidential candidate, has dismissed growing speculation that former President Goodluck Jonathan’s potential entry into the 2027 presidential race poses any threat to his own ambitions.

Obi made the remarks on Tuesday evening after completing a two-hour presidential screening exercise at the national secretariat of the Nigeria Democratic Congress in Abuja, where he arrived at approximately 6:45pm dressed in his trademark black kaftan and cap, accompanied by Anambra Central Senator Victor Umeh.

Responding to reports that Jonathan may contest the presidency on the Peoples Democratic Party platform, Obi said he was not even aware of such developments.

“Actually, I’m not aware of that. But democracy is about people offering themselves for service and being voted for. I’m not in any way going around looking for who and who is contesting. I’m concentrating on how to build a better Nigeria,” he said.

Obi outlined a campaign vision centred on national unity, security, economic revival and anti-corruption, insisting that Nigeria must be governed strictly in accordance with its constitution.

“We want to see where mothers can no longer fear when their children go to school or work. We also want to know where we can travel all over Nigeria without fear,” he said.

On the lengthy screening process, Obi described it as democracy functioning as it should.

“This is democracy in action because the NDC chooses to do things properly. Nigerians want to know whether you meet the stipulated constitutional qualification and provide relevant documents to back them,” he stated.

Obi also pushed back against reports that he had already emerged as the party’s consensus presidential candidate following internal consultations.

“The party just opened up their expression of interest and nomination forms for people to buy. So there is no consensus yet. Although I bought the forms, I don’t know other people who bought. So until the party says I’m the only one who expressed interest, that’s it,” he clarified.

The former governor used the occasion to paint a bleak picture of daily life for ordinary Nigerians, warning that the current trajectory was unsustainable.

“So many Nigerians today go to bed not knowing where the next meal will come from tomorrow. That must change. We must live in a country where people do not turn public assets and public wealth into private assets,” he said.

He also took a swipe at the political class, accusing elected officials of prioritising electoral calculations over governance. “Politicians are preoccupied with the next election when Nigerians are dying. That must stop,” Obi added.

The NDC screening committee, chaired by former senator Sam Egwu, comprises 17 members including Buba Galadima, Ikeddy Isiguzo and Wole Adedayo, among others.