Tinubu Meets EFCC, Housing Minister Over Seized Properties
President Bola Tinubu on Tuesday summoned the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development to the State House to settle a question that has trailed Nigeria’s anti-corruption drive for years: what happens to a mansion, an estate or a hotel once a court has stripped a former public officer of it.
The meeting brought together EFCC Executive Chairman, Olanipekun Olukoyede, and the Minister of Housing and Urban Development, Dr Muttaqha Rabe Darma, who took over the housing portfolio in April 2026 following a cabinet reshuffle that saw Ahmed Musa Dangiwa exit the ministry. The Presidency said discussions centred on ensuring transparency, accountability and proper deployment of properties forfeited to the state, as the federal government’s inventory of seized houses, estates and commercial buildings continues to swell.
That inventory has grown substantially in the past two years. The EFCC says it recovered more than 1,500 non monetary assets, mostly landed property, between late 2023 and 2025. The single largest of these remains the 753 unit Lokogoma estate in Abuja, finally forfeited in December 2024 following a ruling by Justice Jude Onwuegbuzie of the Federal Capital Territory High Court, and linked to former Central Bank of Nigeria Governor Godwin Emefiele. The EFCC has described it as the biggest single asset recovery since the commission’s founding in 2003. Sitting on more than 150,000 square metres of land, the uncompleted estate was handed to the Housing Ministry in May 2025, with officials saying units would eventually be sold to low and middle income Nigerians through the Renewed Hope Portal, subject to structural and integrity assessments still under way. Emefiele’s other forfeited holdings span Lekki Phase 1, Ikoyi, Probyn Road, Adekunle Lawal Road and an industrial complex in Agbor, Delta State, and in 2026 the Supreme Court affirmed the forfeiture of seven of the properties tied to him.
The Lokogoma model, officials say, is what Tuesday’s meeting sought to formalise and replicate. Beyond Emefiele’s assets, the EFCC’s forfeiture docket has widened considerably this year. In January, the commission obtained an interim order over 57 properties worth roughly N213 billion linked to former Attorney General Abubakar Malami, his family and associates, spanning the Federal Capital Territory, Kebbi, Kano and Kaduna. By July, 48 of those properties, valued at about N180 billion, had been finally forfeited, while nine were released back to their claimants, a split that illustrates how forfeiture proceedings in Nigeria routinely produce contested outcomes rather than blanket seizures. Separately, the commission holds an interim order over nine high value Abuja properties connected to former Minister of State for Petroleum Resources Timipre Sylva, who has not yet been arraigned. In July, 52 units at Mercyville Estate in Lekki were finally forfeited, and the EFCC has handed recovered properties to state governments, including Enugu, and to federal agencies such as the Ministry of Education, which converted one recovered facility into the Federal University of Applied Sciences, Kachia.
That expansion has exposed gaps in how recovered wealth is tracked once courts rule. Some assets carry final forfeiture orders that extinguish any private claim, while others remain under interim orders that can still be challenged, appealed or reversed, meaning the government’s asset register is, in practice, a mix of settled and unsettled cases. The administration has moved to close some of the administrative gaps: in November 2025, Tinubu dissolved the two decade old Presidential Implementation Committee on the Alienation of Federal Government Properties, transferring its functions to the Attorney General, and the government has separately spoken of building a National Central Database of Forfeited Assets to centralise records that were previously scattered across agencies. Questions persist, however, over how the EFCC intends to dispose of assets going forward, after the Nigeria Association of Auctioneers this month objected to reports that the commission planned to conduct direct auctions without engaging licensed auctioneers, warning this could undermine due process.
Tuesday’s engagement did not produce an announcement of specific sales or a public disposal framework, and the Presidency gave no timeline for further decisions. What it signalled, according to officials, is a push to formally link the agency that secures forfeiture orders with the ministry equipped to assess, complete and deploy the properties, so that recovered wealth moves beyond paperwork and courtrooms into estates and buildings Nigerians can actually use.
